Counselling & EMDR Support with Abuse
Counselling and EMDR Support with abuse is now available with Paul Carter Counselling. If you have been abused in the past, or more recently, you may find it helpful to talk to a counsellor. Paul Carter can offer different kinds of support to help you with the abuse that you may have experienced. Abuse takes many different forms, below are some examples, this is not an exhaustive list.
- Physical Abuse includes assault, hitting, slapping, pushing, misuse of medication or restraint.
- Sexual Abuse includes rape, indecent exposure, sexual harassment, inappropriate looking or touching, sexual teasing or innuendo, sexual photography, subjection to pornography or witnessing sexual acts, indecent exposure and sexual assault or sexual acts to which the adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting.
- Psychological abuse includes emotional abuse, threats of harm or abandonment, deprivation of contact, humiliation, blaming, controlling, intimidation, coercion, harassment, verbal abuse, cyber bullying, isolation or unreasonable and unjustified withdrawal of services or supportive networks.
- Domestic violence includes psychological, physical, sexual, financial, emotional abuse; so called ‘honour’ based violence.
As a counsellor Paul can help you to come to a place of acceptance that the abuse is not your fault, and that the responsibility lies with your abuser. This can help you to move on with your life and feel free of the torment you have been enduring. Paul also often uses EMDR to help people who have been through abuse.
EMDR – Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing can be beneficial for several different presenting issues. It can be used in conjunction with traditional counselling and psychotherapy or on its own. To find out more about EMDR The International EMDR Association has a useful Introduction Video Here. Paul also has a useful blog here that can tell you more about how it works.
Below are some online and telephone resources that you might find helpful If you have experienced abuse in the past or more recently.
- National Domestic Abuse Helpline 0808 200 0247
- The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC) 0808 801 0331
- Womens Aid – Support for Women and Children experiencing Domestic Violence
- Mankind 0182 3334 244 – for men experiencing domestic violence
- Mens Advice Line 0808 8010 327 for men experiencing domestic violence
- Galop LGBTQ 0800 9995428 – confidential and independent advice and support for LGBT+ people who have experienced sexual assault, abuse or violence
- Karma Nirvana 0800 5999247 – charity supporting victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage.
- Samaritans – 08457 90 90 90 / 0121 6666644
If you would like to find out more about how I can help you please Call me on 07843 813537. Please leave a message if I can’t answer your call and I’ll call you back as soon as possible. If you have any other questions or enquiries please call or send me a message by completing the online enquiry form. Due to COVID I am currently working exclusively online or on the telephone.