Clinical Supervision, Trainees & Qualified Therapists
Clinical Supervision with Paul Carter, Trainees and Qualified Therapists Welcome! It is important that Counsellors and psychotherapists, whether in training or qualified have good supervision. It is considered an essential part of an ethical and effective therapy practice. It informs and contributes to Continued Professional Development and is a requirement of the main professional bodies for Counselling and Psychotherapy, the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) and the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). The required number of hours of supervision can vary in particular if you are a trainee and can be dependent on the course you attend.
The BACP have completed a Literature Review around the “The Impact of Clinical Supervision on Counsellors and Therapist, their practice and their clients”. You can read the full version by clicking on the link.
The findings from the review included that there is evidence that supervision can:
- Improve a supervisees belief in their own abilities,
- That it has a beneficial impact on the supervisees, the client and the outcome of therapy.
- When supervision focuses on the working alliance it can influence client perception of this and enhance treatment outcome.
- Clients seen by a supervised therapist are more satisfied than those seen by an unsupervised therapist.
- That both skill and process supervision have the same positive impact on client outcome.
- That counselling and psychotherapeutic skills develop through supervision.
The evidence for the studies conducted was limited as it appears that there hasn’t been a great deal of research conducted on Supervision in the UK. However, it would seem that Clinical Supervision is more beneficial than not.
There isn’t just one definition of supervision but many, which reflects the way that it is understood in different countries, situations and professions. One definition is:
“Supervision is a formal relationship in which there is a contractual agreement that the therapist will present their work with clients in an open and honest way that enables the supervisor to have insight into the way in which the work is being conducted. The supervisor is understood to be accountable to the professional body to which the supervisee has allegiance” (Wheeler, 2003).
I work in Supervision Sessions using the Gestalt and Person Centred models. It is my intention to help support supervisees to explore and reflect on the work with their clients & work through any difficulties. I work with Supervisees in a relational way. I am happy to work with both trainees and qualified therapists. My specialisms are trauma, including all kinds of abuse, depression and anxiety and other forms of Mental Illness including Personality Disorders.
I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor. Counsellors take an examination to qualify for accreditation by BACP in order to keep high standards of counselling. I abide by the Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy of the (BACP), and the Gestalt Psychotherapy Institute.
I have worked as a counsellor/psychotherapist since 2003 and as a Supervisor since 2008. I work with short-term clients using EMDR for PTSD, trauma and abuse, or CBT and solution focused models for other issues. The aim here is to help clients to learn strategies and solutions for coping with their difficulties.
I also work with gestalt and the person centred models. These models are more relational working in the “here and now” of what is going on relationally between the client and myself. These models are more suited to longer term work to assist clients to find their way through the difficulties they are experiencing. I work with body, thoughts, feelings & emotions.
You can read more information about me here.
I run a private practice in Kingswinford, Birmingham City Centre, on the Telephone and Online.
- I offer Counselling and Psychotherapy to Individuals and Couples.
- I offer Sessions in EMDR.
- I offer Clinical Supervision to other Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
I offer daytime, and weekend appointments.
In both locations I work from there is easy parking, good public transport.
I offer both Short Term and Long Term Psychotherapy.
I have a Current DBS Certificate, Fully insured, Committed to Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Training, qualifications and experience:
- Level 7 Psychotherapist Training
- Diploma in Counselling
- EMDR Practitioner Qualification (In Training)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Supervision
- Post Graduate Certificate in Person Centred Supervision
- Certificate in Couples Counselling
- Certificate in Coginitive Behavioural Therapy
- BACP Accredited (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- Certificate in Developmental Psychotherapy
To make an appointment with me Call me on 07843 813537. Please leave a message if I can’t answer your call and I’ll call you back as soon as possible. If you have any other questions or enquiries please call or send me a message by completing the online enquiry form. Due to COVID I am currently working exclusively online or on the telephone.